CNC machining uses state-of-the-art computer software to direct fabrication tools such as mills, grinders, lathes, and routers. While CNC technology is widely used to manufacture components for numerous industries, it is particularly useful for the fabrication of parts for aerospace equipment.
Aerospace components must operate reliably for long periods of time in adverse conditions, so they must be manufactured with extreme precision. The smallest imperfection can cause component and system failures in critical aerospace applications. CNC machining reduces the potential for human error by automating the manufacturing process. In addition, it allows aerospace machine shops to produce parts at greater speeds with a higher degree of precision and repeatability than traditional machining processes.
CNC machining can also be used to shape strong and lightweight specialty metals for aerospace components within exceptionally tight tolerances. Since the components used in aerospace projects must be especially durable and temperature resistant, aerospace precision machining must employ highly advanced software and equipment to ensure the material’s physical integrity.
Applications that Require Extreme Part Accuracy
In the aerospace industry, accuracy is crucial for safe and dependable operation of aviation equipment, from commercial and private aircraft to interstellar spacecraft. Some applications that benefit from the heightened accuracy of aerospace machining services include:
- Spacecraft Parts. High performance spacecraft components such as robotic arms, electrochemical systems, tubing, and encasements are all manufactured using precision CNC machining. Every part used in spacecraft must be lightweight, durable, and resistant to temperature and radiation exposure common in space environments.
- Body Designs. The body design of aircraft and spacecraft is critical for motion, speed, and efficiency. CNC machining helps to ensure that exterior panels and surfaces fit seamlessly together for optimal aerodynamic configuration.
- Engine Parts. Airplane and spacecraft engines operate under extreme pressure, and components for these engines must be able to withstand very high operating temperatures as well as freezing temperatures common in the upper atmosphere and space. Engine components must be extremely accurate to ensure safe and reliable engine operation.
- Communication and Computer System Parts. Aerospace equipment relies heavily on computer and communication systems for life support, ventilation, navigation, engine control, motion control, actuators, and various other critical applications. CNC machined components ensure that these important systems operate smoothly and efficiently.
- Exterior Components. Aerospace equipment features a variety of exterior components, including wing flaps, lights, sensors, and exterior panels. To withstand the harsh conditions of air and space travel, these components are often manufactured from high strength, lightweight materials that are easily machined using CNC manufacturing equipment.
- Landing Gear. Landing gear is crucial to ensure safe takeoffs and landings for aircraft and certain space shuttle designs. Aerospace CNC machining provides highly accurate landing gear components for safe and reliable landing operations.
- Runners. Aircraft engines often consist of reciprocating engine induction systems, which use runners and piping to direct air into the engine block. Aerospace machining companies use CNC machining to design and manufacture precision runners for these systems within extremely tight tolerances.
- Housings. Housings are used to enclose electronics and sensitive instruments to protect them from exposure to radiation, fluctuating temperatures, and magnetic modulation. CNC machining helps manufacturers create streamlined housings that are engineered to protect sensitive components from unwanted interference.
- Braking Systems and Parts. Braking systems for aerospace equipment rely heavily on precise CNC machined components that are specially designed to help control the speed and velocity of aircraft and spacecraft while on the ground, such as brake pedals, cylinders, calipers, pistons, brake shoes, lines, and hoses.
- Gearbox Components. Gearbox components such as gears, rods, shafts, and housings all benefit from the precision of CNC machining. Accurate construction ensures smooth, efficient operation of transmission, steering, and other critical aircraft and spacecraft systems.
Partner With a Trusted Aerospace Machine Shop
CNC machining aerospace parts requires extensive knowledge and hands-on experience. At RAM Tool, Inc., we are committed to providing the highest quality CNC machined components for our customers in the aerospace industry. With more than 40 years of experience, we understand the unique design and material needs of the aerospace industry, and we make it a point to ensure that our components meet and exceed industry standards and customer expectations.
Our extensive certifications include ISO 9001:2015, NTMA, NADCA, and AMDA, and all of our products undergo extensive quality assurance inspections and testing to ensure part accuracy within tight tolerances. Whether you are in need of wing panels or gear shafts, RAM Tool has the experience and equipment necessary to ensure that your aerospace components meet even the most detailed specifications. To learn more about RAM Tool’s CNC machining capabilities, contact our experts today.